South Carolina men, woman sentenced after they 'hunted victims based on their ethnicity,' DOJ says
Share
Updated: 1:01 PM EDT Apr 2, 2025
Video Player is loading.
Current Time 0:00
/
Duration 0:00
Loaded: 0%
Stream Type LIVE
Remaining Time -0:00
1x
Chapters
descriptions off, selected
captions settings, opens captions settings dialog
captions off, selected
This is a modal window.
Beginning of dialog window. Escape will cancel and close the window.
End of dialog window.
✕
IN TIME FOR NEWS TO GO, WE HAVE A LOOK AT TODAY’S TOP NEWS STORIES, TRAFFIC AND WEATHER ALL BEFORE YOU HEAD OUT THE DOOR. WE START WITH AN ARREST IN CONNECTION TO THE TABLE ROCK WILDFIRE. OUR ISABELLE MARAK IS LIVE IN PICKENS COUNTY WITH THE LATEST ISABELLE. HEY, ERIN AND DESTINY. INVESTIGATORS SAY THAT THEY ARRESTED AND CHARGED THREE ADULTS AND ONE JUVENILE WITH NEGLIGENTLY ALLOWING FIRE TO SPREAD TO LANDS OR PROPERTY OF ANOTHER. NOW, 119 YEAR-OLD AND 218 YEAR OLDS ARE FACING EACH ONE CHARGE OF THAT. AND WE’RE TOLD A JUVENILE WHOSE NAME HAS NOT BEEN RELEASED IS ALSO FACING THAT SAME CHARGE. ACCORDING TO THE ARREST WARRANTS, THE SUSPECTS WERE SMOKING ON A HIKING TRAIL AT TABLE ROCK STATE PARK AND DID NOT EXTINGUISH THEIR CIGARETTES IN A PROPER AND SAFE MANNER, WHICH OFFICIALS ALLEGE LED TO THE START OF THE TABLE ROCK WILDFIRE. WE’RE TOLD THE THREE ADULT SUSPECTS WERE BOOKED INTO THE PICKENS COUNTY DETENTION CENTER AND WERE RELEASED ON PERSONAL RECOGNIZANCE BONDS OF $7,500 EACH. OFFICIALS SAY THAT THE JUVENILE SUSPECT WAS NOT BOOKED AND WAS RETURNED TO HIS PARENTS CUSTODY. REPORTING LIVE IN PICKENS COUNTY. ISABELLE MARAK WIFE NEWS FOUR ISABELLE. THANK YOU. CREWS ARE WORKING TO CONTROL HOTSPOTS FROM THE TABLE ROCK COMPLEX FIRE. THE TABLE ROCK FIRE ITSELF HAS BURNED MORE THAN 13,000 ACRES. AND CONTAINMENT IS AT 30%, WHILE THE PERSIMMON RIDGE FIRE IS MORE THAN 2000 ACRES, IT’S 78% CONTAINED. AND A STATEWIDE BURN BAN IN NORTH CAROLINA IS EXPIRING IN JUST OVER AN HOUR. AS FOR WILDFIRES IN POLK COUNTY, THE BLANCO FIRE IS 93% CONTAINED. THE DEEP WOODS FIRE IS 60% CONTAINED IN THE FISHHOOK FIRE REMAINS 100% CONTAINED. CUTS TO MEDICAID ARE BEFORE THE SUPREME COURT. TODAY, THE JUSTICES WILL CONSIDER WHETHER STATES CAN DISCRIMINATE AGAINST HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS ON A POLITICAL BASIS. SOUTH CAROLINA WANTS TO CUT OFF MEDICAID MONEY FOR PLANNED PARENTHOOD, ARGUING ANY MONEY THAT GOES TO THE ORGANIZATION INDIRECTLY FUNDS ABORTION CARE. PLANNED PARENTHOOD SAYS THAT VIOLATES PATIENTS RIGHTS. MEDICAID FUNDS CAN ONLY BE USED TO PAY FOR ABORTIONS. IN CASES WHERE A PREGNANT PERSON’S LIFE IS AT RISK, OR THE PREGNANCY IS THE RESULT OF RAPE OR INCEST. REGARDLESS, THE ORGANIZATION SAYS PEOPLE ON MEDICAID HAVE A RIGHT TO CHOOSE THEIR HEALTH CARE PROVIDER AND REMOVING THEIR CLINICS FROM THAT LIST VIOLATES THE LAW. WELL, PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP SAYS HE’LL BE UNVEILING A SWEEPING NEW TARIFFS HE HAILS TODAY AS LIBERATION DAY, A DAY THE U.S. IS EXPECTED TO RAISE TARIFFS ON GOODS COMING IN FROM OTHER COUNTRIES TO MATCH WHAT THEY’VE PLACED ON AMERICAN PRODUCTS. THE DETAILS OF HOW THE IMPORT TAXES WILL BE IMPLEMENTED REMAIN UNCLEAR, BUT THE WHITE HOUSE SAYS IT WILL LEAD TO MORE INVESTMENTS IN THE U.S. REVENUE FOR THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AND PROTECT AMERICAN INDUSTRIES FROM FOREIGN COMPETITION. YOU’LL BE ABLE TO BUY A BEER WHILE THE CLEMSON UNIVERSITY ATHLETIC EVENTS STARTING THIS WEEKEND. THE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT SAYS ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES WILL BE AVAILABLE FOR PURCHASE AT DESIGNATED ARAMARK CONCESSION STANDS AND KIOSKS. THE SALES ARE EXPECTED TO BEGIN AT THE SPRING FOOTBALL GAME THIS SATURDAY. SALES AT MCWHORTER STADIUM AND DOUG KINGSMORE STADIUM WILL BEGIN NEXT WEEK. WE DO WANT TO NOTE, THOUGH NO VERTICAL IDS WILL BE ACCEPTED REGARDLESS OF THE INDIVIDUAL’S AGE, AND STUDENTS WILL NOT BE PERMITTED TO USE TIGER WON CARDS TO PURCHASE ALCOHOL. SPARTANBURG SCHOOL DISTRICT TWO HAS NAMED ITS NEWEST SUPERINTENDENT. EARLIER THIS WEEK, THE SCHOOL BOARD UNANIMOUSLY VOTED TO APPOINT DOCTOR TIM NEWMAN AS THE NEXT SUPERINTENDENT, EFFECTIVE JULY 1ST. HE WAS ONE OF THREE FINALISTS FOR THE ROLE. NEWMAN HAS SERVED AS SUPERINTENDENT OF DARLINGTON COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT SINCE 2018, AND HE ALSO HELD DISTRICT LEVEL POSITIONS AND WAS A SCHOOL ADMINISTRATOR AND TEACHER IN PICKENS COUNTY. LANCE RADFORD, THE CURRENT SUPERINTENDENT, IS RETIRING AT THE END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR. APRIL IS NATIONAL SAFE DIGGING MONTH, AND PIEDMONT NATURAL GAS AND DUKE ENERGY ARE BOTH REMINDING CUSTOMERS ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF CALLING 811 BEFORE YOUR NEXT HOME PROJECT. IT’S A FREE PROGRAM THAT YOU CAN CALL TO HAVE UNDERGROUND UTILITY LINES CLEARLY MARKED. PEOPLE SHOULD CALL AT LEAST THREE BUSINESS DAYS BEFORE DIGGING. THEN A CREW WILL COME MARK UNDERGROUND LINES IN THE AREA WITH STAKES, FLAGS OR PAINT. OFFICIALS SAY EVEN COMMON DO IT YOURSELF PROJECTS SUCH AS PLANTING A GARDEN OR EVEN INSTALLING A MAILBOX CAN POSE RISKS. ALL RIGHT, AT 648 AND THE SOUTH CAROLINA GAMECOCKS ARE MAKING A FIFTH STRAIGHT FINAL FOUR APPEARANCE. THEY’LL PLAY TEXAS FOR THE FOURTH TIME THIS SEASON IN A REMATCH OF THE SEC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. OUR SPORTS TEAM WILL BE LIVE IN TAMPA, FLORIDA, GETTING YOU READY FOR THE FINAL FOUR. JOIN US FOR ROAD TO THE TITLE TOMORROW NIGHT AT SEVEN. WELL, HAPPY WEDNESDAY EVERYONE. IT’S 649. HERE WE GO. TEMPERATURES IN THE 50S AND IN THE 60S RIGHT NOW, 55 DEGREES IN LAWRENCE, 55 IN SPARTANBURG. GOOD MORNING TO YOU. 60 IN PICKENS AND 47 IN FRANKLIN. DEFINITELY ON THE CHILLY SIDE. NOT AS MUCH CLOUD COVERAGE EARLY ON IN YOUR AREA. PARTLY TO MOSTLY CLOUDY SKIES THIS MORNING WITH SOME SPOTTY SHOWERS COMING OUR WAY AROUND NINE 10:00. AGAIN, NOT EVERYBODY GETS WET, BUT THEY WILL BE AROUND OFF AND ON THROUGHOUT THE DAY. THE CLOUDS, THOSE SPOTTY SHOWERS KEEPING TEMPERATURES SLIGHTLY BELOW THE SEASONAL AVERAGE IN THE MID 60S TODAY. ENJOY. BECAUSE TOMORROW WE ARE JUMPING UP INTO THE 80S AND GETTING EVEN HOTTER ON SATURDAY, FRIDAY AND SATURDAY WE’RE GOING TO BE FLIRTING WITH SOME RECORD BREAKING HIGHS. WE’LL TAKE A LOOK AT YOUR FOUR DAY PLUS IN ABOUT 7 OR 8 MINUTES FROM RIGHT NOW. BUT FIRST, LET’S GET YOU OUTSIDE, GET A CHECK ON THE ROADS, SEE HOW TRAFFIC IS LOOKING. VICTORIA, HOW’S IT GOING? WELL, IT’S DEFINITELY BUSY OUT THE DOOR RIGHT NOW. WE DO HAVE ONE ACCIDENT TO REPORT ON THAT’S CAUSING TRAFFIC TO BACK UP QUITE A BIT. THIS IS A LIVE LOOK RIGHT NOW AT 85, HEADING SOUTHBOUND. THIS IS NEAR 290. THE CAMERA FROZE, FROZE, BUT TRAFFIC IS ALSO COMPLETELY AT A STANDSTILL. CRAWLING FOR THE MOMENT. THE NORTHBOUND LANES IN THE CLEAR. SO THIS IS A LIVE LOOK AT IT ON OUR MAPS RIGHT NOW WHERE YOU SEE THAT RED, IT CROSSES OVER TO 90 WHERE THAT WRECK IS ON 85. AGAIN. THAT’S THE SOUTHBOUND LANE. SO THERE IS AN ACCIDENT. BUT LOOK, AS WE TRAVEL UP THE SOUTHBOUND LANE ON 85, CROSSING OVER 29, THERE’S ALSO STANDSTILL TRAFFIC JUST BEHIND THAT WRECK WHERE YOU SEE THAT RED AGAIN CROSSING OVER 29 AND 290. TRAFFIC IS AT A COMPLETE STANDSTILL THIS MORNING. NO WORD ON WHEN THAT WRECK WILL BE CLEARED UP AS WE CONTINUE DOWN THE SOUTHBOUND LANE ON 85, HEADING TOWARDS 291 AND 276. THERE’S ALSO TRAFFIC CRAWLING FOR THE MOMENT OVER TO 76. NOW MY TRAFFIC SYSTEM IS NOT SHOWING A WRECK JUST NOW. I LOOKED INTO IT. LOOKS LIKE TRAFFIC IS JUST CRAWLING RIGHT NOW AND NO WRECKS NEAR 276, SO WE’LL KEEP AN EYE ON THIS IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF MINUTES. AND AGAIN, ALLOW YOURSELF EXTRA TIME. IF YOU’RE TAKING 85 SOUTHBOUND ANYWHERE RIGHT NOW, LOOKS LIKE IT’S CAUSING SOME DELAYS NOW TOWARDS WOODRUFF ROAD. JUST ABOUT SIX MINUTES. DESTINY AARON VICTORIA, THANK YOU FOR SEPARATE FEATURE LENGTH. BIOPICS ARE SET TO TELL THE STORY OF THE BEATLES FROM EACH BAND MEMBERS POINT OF VIEW, AND THE CASTING OF THE FOUR MUSICIANS HAS NOW BEEN CONFIRMED. ACCORDING TO SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT. BABY GIRLS HARRIS DICKINSON WILL PLAY JOHN LENNON, PAUL MESCAL FROM GLADIATOR TWO WILL BE CAST AS PAUL MCCARTNEY, BARRY KEOGHAN FROM THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN WILL PORTRAY RINGO STARR AND STRANGER THINGS AS JOSEPH QUINN WILL PLAY GEORGE HARRISON. OSCAR WINNING DIRECTOR SAM MENDES IS SET TO DIRECT THE BEATLES, A FOUR FILM CINEMATIC EVENT. THE GREENVILLE JAZZ FEST RETURNS NEXT MONTH IN FOR ITS THIRD YEAR. IT’S SET FOR MAY 30TH AND 31ST DOWNTOWN. IT’S FREE TO ATTEND, BUT FOOD AND DRINKS WILL BE AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE. THE EVENT FEATURES LOCAL AND NATIONAL JAZZ GROUPS. HERE’S ANOTHER COOL ONE THE IMAGINE UPSTATE STEAM FESTIVAL IS RETURNING TO GREENVILLE THIS WEEKEND AS WELL, AND IT FEATURES MORE THAN 75 EXHIBITS. IT’S DESIGNED TO SHOWCASE THE WORLD OF SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENGINEERING, ARTS AND MATHEMATICS. THE FESTIVAL WILL BE HELD ON MAIN STREET FROM COURT STREET TO AUGUSTA STREET DOWNTOWN, FROM 11 A.M. TO 5 P.M. ON SATURDAY. YOUR TIME IS 652, AND THE COUNTDOWN IS ON FOR THE 2025 RIDE TO END ALS IN SOUTH CAROLINA. IT’S 100 DAYS FROM TODAY, HAPPENING JULY 11TH THROUGH THE 13TH. CYCLISTS TAKE A THREE DAY RIDE FROM SIMPSONVILLE TO CHARLESTON, ALL TO RAISE FUNDS AND AWARENESS FOR THE RESEARCH, CARE AND SUPPORT EFFORTS OF THE ALZHEIMER’S ASSOCIATION. WYFF4.COM HEARTSTRONG IS ONCE AGAIN PARTICIPATING IN SUPPORT OF FORMER ANCHOR GEOFF HART. WE WANT TO NOTE THIS YEAR THERE ARE TWO GROUP RIDE OPTIONS THE GRAND TOUR AT 257 MILES, AND THE HALF TOUR AT 136 MILES. IF YOU’D LIKE TO PARTICIPATE, DONATE TO TEAM HEARTSTRONG OR LEARN MORE, YOU CAN VISIT CALLS.ORG/RIDE. ONE OF MY FAVORITE EVENTS EVERY YEAR. YOU KNOW WE STAFF ONE OF THE REST STATIONS AND JUST TO WATCH THEM GO BY. IT IS AN HONOR TO BE OUT THERE WITH THEM. YES. AND A FAVORITE OF THEM BECAUS
Advertisement
South Carolina men, woman sentenced after they 'hunted victims based on their ethnicity,' DOJ says
Three South Carolina men and one woman have been sentenced to prison for violent crimes targeting Hispanics in the Columbia, South Carolina, area, according to the Department of Justice. Charles Antonio Clippard, 27, was sentenced to 420 months in prison; Michael Joseph Knox, 29, was sentenced to 303 months in prison; Gabriel Brunson, 21, was sentenced to 100 months in prison; and Sierra Fletcher, 34, was sentenced to 200 months in prison.The DOJ said all four defendants previously pleaded guilty to carjacking, conspiracy, firearms, and criminal civil rights charges in connection with the string of armed robberies. According to court documents, beginning in January 2021 and continuing through February 2021, the four defendants conspired to target Hispanic victims for armed robberies. The group would wait for their victims at gas stations and grocery stores and then follow them to their homes or other locations to rob their victims at gunpoint. The DOJ said all four defendants admitted their involvement in a Jan. 30, 2021, armed robbery and carjacking targeting a Hispanic victim after following him from a gas station to his home. In another series of robberies on Jan. 30, 2021, three members of the group carjacked one victim, and invaded the home of another group of victims. The group stole cash, cellphones, driver’s licenses, and credit cards from multiple victims, according to the DOJ.“The defendants hunted victims based on their ethnicity and terrorized an entire community,” said Acting U.S. Attorney Brook B. Andrews for the District of South Carolina. “Their acts of bias-motivated violence have no place in South Carolina. These four defendants will spend a total of 85 years in federal prison as a result of law enforcement coordination at the federal, state, and local level. We are all committed to making sure the Palmetto State remains a safe place for everyone.”Deputy Assistant Attorney General Mac Warner of the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division; Acting U.S. Attorney Brook Andrews and Acting Special Agent in Charge Reid Davis of the FBI Columbia Field Office made the announcement.The FBI Columbia Field Office investigated the case with assistance from the Richland County Sheriff’s Department, Town of Lexington Police Department and Columbia Police Department.Assistant U.S. Attorney Ben Garner for the District of South Carolina and Trial Attorneys Katherine McCallister and Andrew Manns of the Civil Rights Division’s Criminal Section prosecuted the case.
COLUMBIA, S.C. —
Three South Carolina men and one woman have been sentenced to prison for violent crimes targeting Hispanics in the Columbia, South Carolina, area, according to the Department of Justice.
Charles Antonio Clippard, 27, was sentenced to 420 months in prison; Michael Joseph Knox, 29, was sentenced to 303 months in prison; Gabriel Brunson, 21, was sentenced to 100 months in prison; and Sierra Fletcher, 34, was sentenced to 200 months in prison.
The DOJ said all four defendants previously pleaded guilty to carjacking, conspiracy, firearms, and criminal civil rights charges in connection with the string of armed robberies.
According to court documents, beginning in January 2021 and continuing through February 2021, the four defendants conspired to target Hispanic victims for armed robberies. The group would wait for their victims at gas stations and grocery stores and then follow them to their homes or other locations to rob their victims at gunpoint.
The DOJ said all four defendants admitted their involvement in a Jan. 30, 2021, armed robbery and carjacking targeting a Hispanic victim after following him from a gas station to his home. In another series of robberies on Jan. 30, 2021, three members of the group carjacked one victim, and invaded the home of another group of victims. The group stole cash, cellphones, driver’s licenses, and credit cards from multiple victims, according to the DOJ.
“The defendants hunted victims based on their ethnicity and terrorized an entire community,” said Acting U.S. Attorney Brook B. Andrews for the District of South Carolina. “Their acts of bias-motivated violence have no place in South Carolina. These four defendants will spend a total of 85 years in federal prison as a result of law enforcement coordination at the federal, state, and local level. We are all committed to making sure the Palmetto State remains a safe place for everyone.”
Deputy Assistant Attorney General Mac Warner of the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division; Acting U.S. Attorney Brook Andrews and Acting Special Agent in Charge Reid Davis of the FBI Columbia Field Office made the announcement.
The FBI Columbia Field Office investigated the case with assistance from the Richland County Sheriff’s Department, Town of Lexington Police Department and Columbia Police Department.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Ben Garner for the District of South Carolina and Trial Attorneys Katherine McCallister and Andrew Manns of the Civil Rights Division’s Criminal Section prosecuted the case.